Table of Contents Table of Contents
Previous Page  12 / 16 Next Page
Show Menu
Previous Page 12 / 16 Next Page
Page Background

We have created a new

money advisor role in

partnership with

Erewash Borough

Council to support

local residents with

money advice,

budgeting, priority

debts and support with


If you need support to claim

benefits, or are struggling to

pay your bills, heat your

home or feed your family,

contact them for advice and

support. They are trained to

understand the welfare

reformchanges and how they

will impact on you.

The money advisors will be

able to provide you with the

following services:


Support to claim UC and

other benefits


Access to the internet to

make a claim either in

our offices or remotely

(subject to internet coverage

by our existing provider)


Advice on how to budget



Advice on how to

manage any debts you

already have


Support to open a bank


For help, advice or

support on any of the

above areas please visit

our website or call us

on 0300 123 6000.

Money Advice

in Erewash

Universal Credit

goes live in Erewash

on 10 May 2017.

Universal Credit is the new

all-in-one system for working

age benefits.

10 MAY

If you need to make a

new claim for any

benefits – jobseeker’s

allowance, employment

support allowance,

working tax credits,

child tax credit, housing

benefit or income

support - after this date,

you will be required to

claim Universal Credit

(UC) instead.

Your claim must be made

online but don’t worry if you

don’t have access to a

computer. You can use one at

either your local Job Centre

Plus or the Town Hall in

Long Eaton or Ilkeston, and

there will be people there who

are happy to help you.

It will take about seven weeks

for you to receive your UC

payment. For this reason, we

recommend that you have

some money set aside to

pay your bills and buy food

during this time. You can

request an interim payment

of UC during this period, but

you will have to repay it

through deductions from

your benefit payments before

you receive the money.

You must also ensure that

you tick the box that says you

are responsible for housing

costs when making your

claim, even though you may

have previously received

housing benefit direct to your

landlord in the past.

This will ensure that you receive

the money to cover some or all

of your rent. The funds will be

paid directly into your bank which

you must pay to emh homes.

It is really important that you

contact us to confirm that

you are claiming UC to prevent

us from taking further action

against you. If your rent

account falls into arrears of

more than eight weeks, we will

contact UC to request that

your rent payments are made

direct to us, and that

additional money is deducted

from your personal element of

UC to clear the arrears


If you need help or support with

making a UC claim, managing

your money, or are worried

about debts you owe, please

contact us for help and advice


0300 123 6000